To the Old Man in Pajama Pants and Rollerskates

Dear Sir,

When you passed me on my run, I was close to quitting. The classic rock blasting in my earphones was barely enough to keep me from slowing to a walk. But then I saw a blur of green in my peripheral vision. In a green t-shirt, green camo pajama pants, and roller skates with green wheels, you rolled on by. You instantly brought a smile to my face. With your arms raised to the sky, you exuded carefree happiness, even from the back. And that joy was infectious. So thank you.





This view of the Boston/Cambridge skyline always makes me happy. It gives me a similar uplifting feeling as the man in green did. Especially in nice weather, I can sit on the docks along the Charles River for hours, alone with my thoughts and the beautiful view. I can't exactly describe the feeling I get from the skyline, but it's a definite mix of hope, excitement, and possibility. Even after a bad day, or a bad week, I feel content.

I do recognize that I hold an idealized view of cities. I recognize I'm so blessed to be able to hold this view.

But I love cities. They're brimming with people and opportunities. I especially love Boston, full of both goal-oriented, dreaming college students and young professionals and generations of Bostonians. 

Growing up in suburbia was a good life. But it's been time for me to move on, and I plan to live in a city for a long time.


No comments:

Post a Comment